Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Get It Right

OK, so, I've had a love-hate relationship with Glee for a few months now. This season, parts of the show are amazingly well-written and deeply emotional, and others are just over-the-top ridiculous and unbelievable. However, I have to say, last week's episode was just incredible.

Brief Synopsis: Rachel is in love with Finn. Finn encourages Rachel to write an original song for Regionals, but while doing so, gets back together with his ex-girlfriend, Quinn. Quinn is threatened by Rachel but pretends to be friends with her to keep an eye on her. When they meet to work on an original song for Regionals, Quinn gives Rachel this speech:

Quinn: Do you wanna know how the story plays out? I get Finn, you get heartbroken, and then Finn and I stay here and start a family. [...] You don't belong here, Rachel, and you can't hate me for helping to send you on your way.


Rachel: No. I'm not giving up on Finn. It's not over between us.

Quinn: Yes, it is! You're so frustrating, and that is why you can't write a good song, because you live in this little schoolgirl fantasy of life. Rachel, if you keep looking for that happy ending then you are never gonna get it right.

Rachel walks away crying...and then writes this song and performs it at Regionals. Breathtaking.



I've been listening to it on a loop for a week. This is what it looks like when television gets it right.

And in case you're wondering, I'm totally on Team Rachel. I think all of us who live in little schoolgirl fantasties of life well deserve to get our happy endings.

0 comments: